Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Wedding Season - Shoe edition

So it's officially wedding season for me!  We had a crazy summer 2 years ago that included 9 weddings!! That seemed crazy.  While this summer isn't nearly that full, we do have several coming.  One (the fanciest of all of them) is this coming weekend.  In preparation, I have been crafting.

My hubby is in the wedding party for this one so we have a rehearsal AND black-tie optional reception that I needed to prepare for.  Both are pretty formal events for my neck of the woods.  I decided to wear a form-fitting, yet conservative sleeveless black number for the rehearsal.  I wanted to punch it up a bit, so I went and got some pinkish shoes.  I didn't like the brown wedge with the black dress, so I added the lace to the wedge (I used a glue stick to apply, so I am hoping it will come off later - I'll let you know how that goes).
 So I got the lace at JoAnn's.  I decided to get a floral lace, and it was a bit heavier on the "print" than some - which I thought would be darker coverage.  I used my tiny scissors and cut to the needed shape.  Then used a glue stick to attach the back center first then out from there.
The final product is fairly dark overall (which I was going for so it would match my black dress better.)  If I remember, I will try to get a pick with my shoes and dress at the event.

I made a clutch that I thought would coordinate, but as pink as I thought my shoes were, they seemed quite red in comparison to my fabric.  More on this in the next post.

I decided I didn't want to spend the money to buy a new black-tie-optional dress.  I had this black column dress from who knows when that I thought I would wear.  It was strapless and floor length.  HOWEVER, most of my friends are wearing cocktail dresses, so I decided to have mine altered to just below the knee length instead.  This made me think of shoes again.  I thought about buying new, but I don't do formal all that often and all the shoes I loved, I knew I would only wear once.  SO..... I decided to again alter a pair that I already have.  Again, I was trying to think of something that would be temporary.  Shoe clips!!!  Great!!  I looked around online for some inspiration, and found myself gravitating toward the peacock feathers.
 So there seem to be two options with shoe clips - on the toe area or side.  These ended up being fairly long, so I went with the side.  I got the various feathers from the local Michael's.  As you can see, I didn't have any actual shoe clips yet.  I ordered some online and hope to get them tomorrow and plan to glue the  feathers to the shoe clip (I used floral tape first to attach in layers until I liked the look - then glued the set of them together)
I added a bit of the same lace from the rehearsal shoes as I liked the background/texture it added to the mix.  Again, I used the binder clips for pics, but I promise, it should look nicer with the shoe clips.

I am thinking about adding a feather or two to a headband or hair piece for the evening to coordinate, but that all depends on what happens at my haircut on Thursday (I currently have shoulder-length dark brown hair, but am thinking of short and blonde).

Wish me luck!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...